Guidelines on the International Competition
for the Sea Art Festival 2013
The Sea Art Festival in Busan has established a unique exhibition style though a blend of the natural environment, the sea, and hightech contemporary art. It began with the affection and devotion of local artists in 1987,marking its 26th anniversary this year and becoming an event which represents the living history of art of Busan.The Sea Art Festival, which has been integrated with main exhibition along with the birth of the Busan Biennale, has been held in odd-numbered years since 2011(an off-year for the Busan Biennale), becoming a new cultural independent brand representing the city of Busan.
The Sea Art Festival 2013 will be held at Songdo Beach with the theme of ‘With Songdo : Remembrance·Marks·People’. In 1913, it opened as the first public beach in Korea. Songdo Beach, which was called East Napoli in Asia during the Japanese colonial era, marks its 100th anniversary this year, with attempts to recover its old reputation through various renovations and maintenance projects. With this in mind, we wish that as many artists, domestic and international, will apply to participate in this International Competition for the Sea Art Festival 2013, which will be held at Songdo Beach.
Theme :’With Songdo : Remembrance·Marks·People’
Period : Sep. 14 to Oct. 13, 2013 (30 days)
Venue : Songdo Beach
Art works : 35 on- and off-shore installations(Competition 20 works, Invitation 15 works )
Artistic Director : Tae-Won Park(Busan Fine Arts Association Planning Chairman)
|〈 ’With Songdo : Remembrance·Marks·People’ 〉|
|The Sea Art Festival 2013 with the theme of ‘With Songdo : Remembrance ·Marks ·People’ is planned on the basis of history (Remembrance), Locality (Marks) of Songdo Beach and the identity of Sea Art Festival (People). The Sea Art Festival 2013, in accordance with the 100th anniversary of Songdo Beach, will attempt to ‘remember’ the history of Songdo Beach by discovering the stories of the ‘People’ and the ‘Marks’ they made through out history.
The Sea Art Festival 2013 will exhibit 3 coexisting themes, with the first being the theme of ‘Remembrance’. A variety of attractions such as paintings, photos and video are planned to be on display to provide a rich and memorable experience for the opening of the ‘Sea Art Festival’s’ 26 year-old history as well as Songdo Beach’s 100th anniversary. The second keyword, ‘Marks’ dreams of balancing the natural environment and artworks of Songdo Beach through establishing various pieces of sculptures and installation artwork. In addition, the exhibition will offer an exotic experience in the balance of nature and art to people, who visit Sea Art Festival 2013 by setting up a photo zone in consideration for the passage in time.
The last keyword, ‘People’ attempts to guide the Sea Art Festival by connecting people through communication and events such as various genres of music, literature, performance and media. In this regard, we encourage all of you to participate in the many events offered.
Period : Apr. 15 to May. 20, 2013
Art Works : 20 works(on- and off-shore installations)
Qualification : Anyone can participate regardless of nationality.
Genre : An individual artist(or group) can submit one work of any genre in contemporary art.
* In case of a group entry, not more than 10
* Minimum 5m at each side and limited to installation artwork
* Undergraduate students can submit collaborative works only with the recommendation of their professors
First-round review : Documents
– Application form 1 copy (prescribed form)
– Model drawing (A3 paper 1 and CD 1)
* Model drawing contains a front view, a side view by computer graphic work through A3 paper and CD(JPEG file, over 300dpi)
* Submitted documents will not be returned.
* Application from can be downloaded at the Busan Biennale homepage (http://www.busanbiennale.org).
– Submission period : May. 13 to 20, 2013, by 18:00
– Submission location : Busan Biennale Organizing Committee
– Submission method : Post, Email, Visiting
* Submissions arriving after the deadline will not be considered for judging.
(Note : submissions will not be accepted on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays.)
– Announcement of results : May. 23, 2013, Busan Biennale homepage
Second-round review : Models submission
– Qualification : Winners of the first-round contest
– Submission period : Jun. 17 to 21, 2013, by 18:00
– Submission method : by post
– Submission location : Busan Biennale Organizing Committee
– Model size : 1.2m(width)×1.2m(length)×2m(height)
(including the size of the pedestals)
– Announcement of results : Jun. 26, 2013, Busan Biennale homepage
– Return of the model : Jun, 27 to 28, 2013, 13:00-18:00
* All expenses of transportation is on applicant
* If contestants have not claimed their work after the pickup date, the work will be disposed of at the organizer’s discretion, 7days after the pickup date.
|Grand Prize||1||15 million won||The two prizes will be chosen among special selection awardees whose works have been completed and successfully installed|
|Excellence||1||10 million won|
|Special Selection||18||5 million won|
* Expense of making of art work, delivery(transportation) and alighting(unloading) is on applicant.
Award includes support fund of art work making .
* Support for artists : Expenses for accommodations and meals(for up to 10 days) during the stay for installation,
equipment and support assistants shall be provided by the organizer.
* Award ceremony : Sep. 14, 2013(During the Opening of the Sea Art Festival 2013)
Entry requirements and compliance
– All expenses incurred in the application process(including transportation of the artwork) shall be borne by the artists.
– Artists cannot submit works that have been shown in other exhibitions. When producing works, sufficient attention should be considered to the local climate and environmental conditions.
– Technical security should be guaranteed by using materials which can minimize the adverse effects of local environmental conditions, such as typhoons, winds, and waves, as well as the damage that viewers might cause on artworks.
– Artists should regularly check the status of their works during the exhibition period especially if they are susceptible to change or damage. Artists should also cooperate with the organizer regarding exhibition and maintenance. In cases where damage prevents artists from being able to restore their work, the work can be removed or reinstalled after consultation with the organizer.
– The organizer is not responsible for any damage done to people or objects, which is the result of the artist’s lack of technical security.
– If artwork needs to be insured, it is the sole responsibility of the artist.
611-809 38 Busan Asiad Main Stadium, 344 Worldcup st. Yeonje-Gu, Busan, Korea
Tel. 82 51-503-6574 Fax. 82 51-503-6584 firstname.lastname@example.org